$13.00 / hour
Avg. Wage Upon Completion
$19.00 / hour
On The Job Training
see Training Summary below
Related Courses Required
4 courses or 288 hours
see Classes Offered below
- Strong math skills, English to metric unit conversion, fraction to decimal conversion, and basic geometry and trigonometry
- Multi tasking is essential
- Not afraid of electricity
- Ability to work with your hands (mechanical aptitude)
- May have to work on ladders or below machines
- Good at many things but not necessarily an expert at any one thing
- Problem solving, troubleshooting
- Knowledge of tools: wrenches, screwdrivers, hammers, pliers, vice grips, and other hand tools
- Ability to measure using a ruler and/or tape measure, using micrometers, or using other measuring tools is a bonus
- Mid level of self confidence, likes to work independently, likes working with hands, good communication skills
- Likes repairing bikes, lawnmowers, Motocross, boats, cars or household items.
Dual Enrollment Courses
These classes can be taken through MCC by FLYAP participants
TAM 101Machine Theory
TAM 105Machine Project Laboratory
TAM 121Mathematics for Machinists I
TAM 131Machine Shop Print Reading I
TAM 141Machine Shop Laboratory
HVA 101Basic Refrigeration Theory
HVA 103Heating Systems
HVA 105Electric and Motor Controls
Apprenticeship Training Summary
750 hoursCleaning requirements and material handling
550 hoursBasic electricity switches, outlets, light sockets etc.
550 hoursBasic carpentry skills
550 hoursBasic plumbing skills
550 hoursPaint, drywall and plaster
550 hoursMechanical repair of equipment and or machines
500 hoursMisc. windows, screens, flooring and record keeping
As a youth apprentice, you will receive education and skills through job shadowing in 11th grade and a paid co-op in 12th grade. What’s more, upon completion, you will have the highly sought-after skills and experience that could make your career possibilities limitless.
In this program, you will have an opportunity to interview with several companies in multiple trades. And when you graduate, you will already have an understanding of these companies and what they offer.
We are here to be part of your decision discussion. Let’s build your future together.